For any occasion, these are a one-of-a-kind, unique idea that anyone can make. Once hanging on your lighted tree, the warmth from the lights will bring out the smell of the beeswax, a nice honey smell. All you need are a few items:
- Pure yellow beeswax
- Heavy plastic soap making molds or **Brown Bag Cookie Molds
- Elastic String
- Cooking Oil
- Acrylic paints, antique medium, clear spray top coat
- Glass measuring cup
- Microwave oven
- Place your mold/s on a level surface and coat each cavity lightly with cooking oil (do not use PAM).
- Heat a pound of beeswax in the glass measuring cup until liquid (about 6-8 min.) depending on your oven.
- Carefully remove glass cup using a potholder (wax will be very hot). Pour wax into each cavity and place a piece of elastic string at the top of the mold for a hanger.
- Plastic molds do not need to be filled all the way, as they are usually deep. Once the wax starts to cool put the plastic molds in the refrigerator to cool quicker and for easy release of the wax ornament.
- The Brown Bag Cookie Molds do not need to be put in the refrigerator, they will start to cool quickly and pull away from the edges. As soon as you can, remove the ornament and let them continue to cool. Do not re-pour wax into the mold until these molds have cooled down again.
- Let the ornaments cool completely and wipe off any excess oil.
- Begin to paint (front only). Once the paint has dried, rub with antique medium to bring out the details and give an aged look. Let dry completely.
- Spray only the front with acrylic topcoat.