Shower or Wash Jellies are a fun, fabulous way to get clean. Easy to make and use, no refrigeration needed and a little goes a long way in the shower. We suggest you pinch off a small piece and insert it in your buff puff and start washing. They create so much lather you won’t believe your eyes!
Ingredients: (Recipe makes 3 lbs.)
All ingredients are weighed unless specified
- 16.5 ozs Distilled Water
- 15 ozs Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (liquid)
- 12.5 ozs Liquid Glycerin
- 3.5 ozs Propylene Glycol
- 1.5 ozs Carrageenan (IOTA)
- .7 ozs Fragrance
- 1/4 tsp. Preservative (Methylparaben)
- FD&C or iron oxide colors as needed (powders only)
- Stainless steel pot that will hold at least 6 cups
- Stick Blender
- Glass Measuring Cup
- Plastic Bowl
- Mold or plastic container big enough to hold 3 lbs. liquid
- Add water and SLS to the stainless steel pot and put on stove top.
- In a glass container, warm propylene glycol and methylparaben in microwave for 10-20 seconds until methylparaben is dissolved. Then add it to water/SLS mixture and start heating the mixture on medium heat to 175° F.
- In the plastic bowl, add the glycerin and carrageenan and mix until smooth with spatula. Add whatever color/s you want at this time and mix in with the stick blender until smooth and incorporated.
- Add glycerin/carrageenan/color mixture to the pot on the stove top, stirring continuously until mixture starts to thicken – 185° F. You can also mix with the stick blender, but be careful not to create too many bubbles.
- Remove from stove top and blend slightly with stick blender – add fragrance and stir until incorporated.
- Pour into mold/s. Refrigerate to cool quicker. Once it is cool you no longer have to keep it in the refrigerator.
FYI – Your mold can be a plastic shoe box container or any plastic that will withstand 185°.
This is not a difficult recipe, but we don’t recommend substitutions on any of the ingredients other than color and scent.